Saturday 10 January 2015

Project: portal long fall boots part 3

Last I left off, I'd finished the heel supports for the portal long fall boots. This time around I'm going over the upper portion of the boots. 
First step for this is paint. Again with the heat set fabric paints that I rant and rave about, and I do so for a reason: they are flexible when set. Flex is needed in shoes, specifically at points where the shoe bends with the foot, if it doesn't flex it will crack that just looks bad. 
First things first is base coats. I did many many base coats of the white, heat setting each coat. Once that was complete I penciled on the patterns and got them even on both boots. Then I went to town painting the black bits as needed with multiple coats- heat sets, rinse repeat yadda yadda. 
Next is to cut the upper boot parts. I chose worbla for this, which is amazing since I typically hate worbla. Burnt fingers, swearing, more burnt fingers. Not good. 
I used my previously made pattern made from painters tape and a leg cast and traced multiples onto the worbla. The reason for the multiples you ask? I want this piece to have some thickness to it, not only to match the game version as best I can, but also to give the heel supports some meat to anchor into. 
I then cut and heat these and formed them together until I got that thickness I was after.
 Once I got the right thickness I began more heating and working on shaping. During this stage I also heat set these to the boot. I'll glue once there cooled as a double measure simply because I want my props to handle my abuses that I throw at them! 
At this point I also built an anchoring spot into the back of the boot, inside and out. 
Once all of the worbla is cooled and the glue has cured, and I'm certain everything is in place as if like, I bolted the heel supports on there,  I glue the lock nuts as an extra measure. 
 At this point I was not convinced of the strength of the worbla alone, nor was I completely pleased with the smoothness. So I visited my good friend fibreglass resin, albeit a messy & pain in the ass friend, but this friend has saved my arse (and props) many times. While resin casting I also installed the elastic strips that hold in the leg in the upper part of the boot, these are sewn in and then resin goes overtop to smooth it.
After the resin cured I sanded. And sanded. And sanded some more. I feel like I spend as much time sanding as I do waiting in traffic- neither is pleasant, both are sadly required. Don't forget your respirator while resing casting and sanding, no one wants to breathe that junk in.  
Then comes more paint! Yahoo for that! I painted the uppers multiple coats is a plain ol acrylic white- NOT heat set. Heat set and finished worbla/resin combination product is bad news bears for everyone. Once that's complete and a few touch ups are done as needed I give everything an overnight to cure and dry, the next day I give it a good shot of clear coat, usually multiple coats. 
Often times after that first coat of paint you find all the spots that aren't quite smooth enough... As was the case here. Much to my chagrin, back to the sanding I went. This is the finished long fall boot that even Cave Johnson would approve of. 
I'll be posting a photo of the whole finished cosplay as soon as I get them from the photographer!

As always all information (including photos) contained in this post is intellectual property of DKB and may not be copied in any way without express written permission

No comments:

Post a Comment